The House of History is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The building served as a county jail and sheriff's quarters from 1877 to 1955. Rich, extensive displays trace the history of Adams County from its origin in 1853 through today. The second floor houses an archive of assorted historical literature frequented by research scholars. The original dining room and kitchen used by the sheriff and family are among the features in the basement as well as the original dungeon room complete with bars on the windows.